List:Summer of Code« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Derek Schaefer Date:June 16 2009 7:09pm
Subject:GSoC Week 1 - The Journey Begins
View as plain text
Hey, all! School is finally wrapped up for the summer and I am now
free to fulfill my GSoC duties!

KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS LAST WEEK
==============================

Living through finals week! Before that, creating and further refining
a prototype algorithm that converts PMA XML exports to SQL code, and
all of the code-base exploration and planning that came with that
little adventure. A more generalized form of this algorithm is what
will be at the core of my project.

KEY TASKS THAT STALLED LAST WEEK
===============================

Nothing yet, fortunately.

KEY CONCERNS
=============

How to best provide an interface to edit the database and table
configurations and schemas after importing/analyzing the data. Is the
table structure view “scriptable,” in the sense that it could be used
to display a table structure that has not actually been created yet.
If not, then perhaps to best way to go about that task would be to
find the best-fit types for each column/table, etc., create them and
insert all the appropriate data, then display any relevant information
and let the user edit the databases and tables in the normal fashion.

TASKS IN THE UPCOMING WEEK
==========================

Make refinements to my PMA XML to SQL converter algorithm as well as
make it more general, such that it can be used by any import plugin
for any data storage format. This will include separating out
functions to create the SQL code and process the tabular data that is
passed to the algorithm. Other than that, the necessary function are
adequately generalized. After that, I will be creating a prototype XML
import plug-in (capable of importing on server, database, and table
levels) to test my algorithm against. Also, find out just how
“scriptable” the database/table structure panels are.

-Derek Schaefer
Thread
GSoC Week 1 - The Journey BeginsDerek Schaefer16 Jun