List:Summer of Code« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Colin Charles Date:June 3 2008 1:42am
Subject:MySQL Sandbox (WAS: Re: Fwd: GSoC Weekly Report - Week 1)
View as plain text
On 6/3/08 Raj Kissu wrote:

Hi!

This applies to all students, so please read...

>    - Install and learn to use QEMU on Fedora. This way I can setup a
> MySQL
>    binary on a virtual OS running on the same machine (my laptop)
> without
>    having to manage the mess of handling multiple MySQL binaries

Please let me introduce you to MySQL Sandbox
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-sandbox/

Its easy to use, and you don't have to muck around with any
virtualization at all. In fact, you can have MySQL running in a
"sandbox" environment in under 5 seconds :)

Read:
http://www.oreillynet.com/databases/blog/2006/05/introducing_the_mysql_sandbox.html
http://blogs.mysql.com/gmax/2007/10/19/introducing-the-15-seconds-rule/

Also, for virtualization, consider VirtualBox :)

It comes with a GUI, and I've had more success with it on Fedora than
kvm, to install things like Windows... kvm works fine for Linuxes, but
VirtualBox is just more integrated and works well for all sorts of
varied guests (save for the 64-bit guests at the moment)

Hope this helps!
--
Colin Charles, Community Relations Manager, APAC
Database Group, Sun Microsystems Inc., http://www.mysql.com/

MySQL Forge: http://forge.mysql.com/
Thread
Fwd: GSoC Weekly Report - Week 1Raj Kissu2 Jun
  • MySQL Sandbox (WAS: Re: Fwd: GSoC Weekly Report - Week 1)Colin Charles3 Jun
    • Re: MySQL Sandbox (WAS: Re: Fwd: GSoC Weekly Report - Week 1)Raj Kissu4 Jun