List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Marcus Bointon Date:November 15 2007 9:16am
Subject:Re: Replication breaks with error 1406 when confronted with Umlauts
View as plain text
On 15 Nov 2007, at 00:13, Christoph Lechner wrote:

> BTW: Why does he say "Gültig"? It should be Gültig, so the
> Umlaut ü
> got scrambled.
>
> All the rows already in the table don't contain any Umlaut (the
> Umlauts
> are encoded in ü etc. HTML style), so the first Umlaut that
> wasn't
> encoded broke the setup. (Needless to stress that the setup _should_
> survive umlauts ...)

To me it looks like that char is UTF-8 encoded, when everything you
mention is ISO. Either way, collations and charsets are binary safe in
MySQL anyway, it's just down to your terminal etc to interpret it
correctly. In this case I can see you having done something like
submitting a UTF-8 string to a field that's expecting ISO, and your
terminal is displaying ISO, so you're seeing corruption, though it may
actually be OK in the db.

As for why it didn't get converted to an HTML entity, I'd guess that
htmlentities() (you using PHP?) is on the lookout for an ISO ü, and
the UTF-8 one slipped by unnoticed. So I'd suspect that there's a
browser somewhere that didn't obey either your content-type HTTP
header or meta tag specifying an ISO charset.

Having said all that, I don't know why this should have any bearing on
the replication problem.

Any help?

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info@hand CRM solutions

Replication breaks with error 1406 when confronted with UmlautsChristoph Lechner15 Nov
  • Re: Replication breaks with error 1406 when confronted with UmlautsMarcus Bointon15 Nov
    • Re: Replication breaks with error 1406 when confronted with UmlautsChristoph Lechner15 Nov