List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<mark_round Date:December 17 2004 1:23pm
Subject:Problems with replication restarting
View as plain text
Hi all,

I'm having some troubles with replication, in particular restarting a
slave. I'm using MySQL 4.0.22 for the slave, and 4.0.21 as the master.
I've followed the instructions as per the manual, and replication is now
working fine.

However, when I restart the slave (through init scripts, or when
rebooting the server etc.), instead of continuing on from where it left
off, it appears to start again from the beginning. This is confirmed by
watching the value of Relay_Log_Pos from SHOW SLAVE STATUS\G.

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that when the slave is
set up (as per the instructions at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Replication_HOWTO.html), the "CHANGE
MASTER" statement is issued, and this sets the MASTER_LOG_POS and
MASTER_LOG_FILE paramaters to their initial values. It appears that
these values do not get changed or updated after the slave is started.

Could someone please inform me whether this is "abnormal" behaviour (it
would seem to be, as each restart of the slave would cause it to lag
further and further behind the master), and if so, how to fix it ?

Many thanks in advance,

-Mark

PS:- I found another user with exactly the same problem, who detailed
his experience here : http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?11,2498.
This E-mail is from IPC Media Ltd whose registered office is at Kings
Reach Tower, Stamford Street, London SE1 9LS, registered number 53626.
The contents and any attachments to it include information that is
private and confidential and should only be read by those persons to
whom they are addressed. IPC Media accepts no liability for any loss or
damage suffered by any person arising from the use of this e-mail.
Neither IPC Media nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses
and it is your responsibility to check the email and attachments (if any).
No contracts may be concluded on behalf of IPC Media by means of e-mail
communications. If you have received this e-mail in error, please destroy
and delete the message from your computer. For unbeatable savings on
magazine subscriptions and great gift ideas visit www.ipcsubs.co.uk/IZAF
Thread
Problems with replication restartingmark_round17 Dec