List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Olli J. Marttila Date:January 31 2005 10:15pm
Subject:Unable to install MySQL in a computer where traces of an old installation
remains
View as plain text
I was looking for a database programme that I could use both
in Windows and in Linux environment, to replace several
Microsoft Access 97 databases. MySQL looked suitable
candidate for the purpose.

I downloaded mysql-4.1.9-win32 from mysql.novello.fi this
night. Trying to install it in my computer I first received
a message
"Setup has detected a previous version of MySQL server 4.1.
It will be removed during the installation."
I choose the typical installation, and soon another message
was displayed:
"The older version of MySql server 4.1 cannot be removed.
Contact the technical group."
Now, I myself am the "technical group".

However, there is *not* (more) an older version installed.
In fact, I once wanted to test MySQL, but I uninstalled it
soon as I had difficulties to get it working. Now I intended
to give it another try.

Regedit tells me that there indeed are three LEGACY_MYSQL41
folders in the registries (in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001, .../ControlSet003,
and ../CurrentControlSet Folders), that could not be
removed, not even using RegistryFirstAid programme.

My operating system is WindowsXP Professional, SP2. The
current computer was installed in August 2004. The computer
is in private home use, myself having the Administrator
privileges.

I would be grateful for every advice how to proceed.

Olli J. Marttila

Thread
Unable to install MySQL in a computer where traces of an old installationremainsOlli J. Marttila31 Jan