List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Valerie Parham-Thompson Date:September 14 2013 4:29pm
Subject:Fwd: MySQL Master and Slave Replication
View as plain text
Kaushual,

Yes, you should do a test restore when setting up your backup processes, and periodically
afterwards, to check for integrity (and to make sure you have the restore process
well-documented and practiced).

Doing a test restore will also demonstrate how often you should do full backups vs.
incremental backups. When you restore from backup, you would need to restore the full
backup and then each incremental backup since then plus the binlogs since the last
incremental backup, so take this timing into consideration.

For example, if you have very frequent changes, and you see that the test restore takes a
longer time than you're willing to withstand in cases of emergency, then you would
increase the frequency of full backups. I have worked with cases in which it made the
most sense to do full backups nightly and incrementals every 3 hours, and I bet there are
use cases indicating even more frequent full backups.

I would do your test restore with a full backup and the maximum number of incremental
backups and binlogs possible between a full backup and an incident, to show what the
worse case time required would be.

Valerie

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@stripped>
> Subject: Re: MySQL Master and Slave Replication
> Date: September 14, 2013 12:04:24 AM EDT
> To: Manuel Arostegui <manuel@stripped>
> Cc: Andrew Morgan <andrew.morgan@stripped>, Johan De Meersman
> <vegivamp@stripped>, "replication@stripped"
> <replication@stripped>
>>

> Hi Again,
>
> I am running MySQL DB version mysql55-5.5.33-1.ius.el6.x86_64 on CentOS 6.4
> for OTRS application. Do i need to have full backup on weekends and
> incremental backups on weekdays as part of backup policy and restore the
> backup to check for integrity of data.
> Please suggest.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kaushal

Thread
MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationKaushal Shriyan13 Sep
  • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationJohan De Meersman13 Sep
    • RE: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationAndrew Morgan13 Sep
      • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationManuel Arostegui13 Sep
        • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationKaushal Shriyan14 Sep
          • Fwd: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationValerie Parham-Thompson14 Sep
    • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationKaushal Shriyan13 Sep
      • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationJohan De Meersman13 Sep
Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationKaushal Shriyan13 Sep
  • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationKaushal Shriyan13 Sep
Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationJohan De Meersman15 Sep