List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:September 13 2013 6:30am
Subject:Re: MySQL Master and Slave Replication
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kaushal Shriyan" <kaushalshriyan@stripped>
> Subject: MySQL Master and Slave Replication
>
> I have a question regarding MySQL replication master slave setup. One
> question is of concern "If data is corrupted, lost or deleted in the
> master that will be synced to the slave. Restoring the slave to the master
> does not get the data back."? Please suggest.

Repeat after me: Replication is not backup. RAID is not backup. Only backup is backup.

The point of replication is load distribution, running heavy reporting, etc, and/or quick
failover in case of *hardware* failure on the master.

To protect against data corruption, you need to take regular backups of your data, using
MySQLdump, Xtrabackup, or any of the myriad alternatives; and - most importantly - save
those backups somewhere else than on the server you take them from, ideally even outside
of the same datacenter.

MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationKaushal Shriyan13 Sep
  • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationJohan De Meersman13 Sep
    • RE: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationAndrew Morgan13 Sep
      • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationManuel Arostegui13 Sep
        • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationKaushal Shriyan14 Sep
          • Fwd: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationValerie Parham-Thompson14 Sep
    • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationKaushal Shriyan13 Sep
      • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationJohan De Meersman13 Sep
Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationKaushal Shriyan13 Sep
  • Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationKaushal Shriyan13 Sep
Re: MySQL Master and Slave ReplicationJohan De Meersman15 Sep