List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andrew Garner Date:May 17 2012 8:15pm
Subject:Re: [SOLVED] Re: maintain mysql session on bash script
View as plain text
That solution looked way too complicated for what it's trying to
accomplish.  In bash, it's probably easiest to just use the built-in
SYSTEM functionality in the mysql command:

mysql> FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK;
mysql> SYSTEM <create a snapshot>;
mysql> UNLOCK TABLES;
# rest of bash script

For <create a snapshot> this might be "lvcreate --snapshot ..." for
LVM, or ec2-create-snapshot or something similar.   You could also run
mysqldump commands under this lock - although it may be more difficult
to test for success or failure.  I note, however, that the
dba.stackexchange answer doesn't check for errors at all either.

If you really want to parallelize mysqldump runs you probably want to
look at something like http://www.mydumper.org/ instead.

~Andrew