List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:a.smith Date:April 29 2011 7:06pm
Subject:Re: replication error 1236 start replication from impossible
position
View as plain text
Quoting Rick James <rjames@stripped>:

Hi,

   Thanks for the reply. I don't believe that the system crashed or
mysql was shutdown uncleanly, however I have now set "sync_binlog=1"
so if this happens again at least I have ruled that out as a possible
cause. My DB is low on writes so I think I can cope with this
performance wise no problems,

thanks Andy.

> _Usually_ that is caused by the Master dying, and you have sync_binlog=OFF.
>
> Details...
> * Master sends binlog stuff to slave(s) before flushing to binlog
> * Slave gets the stuff and writes to the relaylog, calculating where
> it logically is in the binlog
> * Master crashes without flushing.
> * Slave is disconnected
> * Master comes back up.
> * Master starts a new binlog (as is normal for starting up)
> * Slave reconnects and asks to pick up where it left off in the
> binlog.  But that is off the end of the unflushed binlog.
>
> The Fix (on Slave) -- CHANGE MASTER TO master_file = ... master_pos
> = 0 (or 4); the file is that new binlog mentioned above.  (That is
> what you did.)
>
> Caution: whereas sync_binlog=ON may cure it in the future, it can
> take a severe toll on I/O.

Thread
replication error 1236 start replication from impossible positiona.smith29 Apr
  • Re: replication error 1236 start replication from impossible positionJohan De Meersman29 Apr
    • Re: replication error 1236 start replication from impossible positionRick James29 Apr
      • Re: replication error 1236 start replication from impossiblepositiona.smith29 Apr
        • Re: replication error 1236 start replication from impossible positionRick James30 Apr