List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick James Date:April 29 2011 6:52pm
Subject:Re: replication error 1236 start replication from impossible position
View as plain text
_Usually_ that is caused by the Master dying, and you have sync_binlog=OFF.

Details...
* Master sends binlog stuff to slave(s) before flushing to binlog
* Slave gets the stuff and writes to the relaylog, calculating where it
logically is in the binlog
* Master crashes without flushing.
* Slave is disconnected
* Master comes back up.
* Master starts a new binlog (as is normal for starting up)
* Slave reconnects and asks to pick up where it left off in the binlog.
But that is off the end of the unflushed binlog.

The Fix (on Slave) -- CHANGE MASTER TO master_file = ... master_pos = 0
(or 4); the file is that new binlog mentioned above.  (That is what you
did.)

Caution: whereas sync_binlog=ON may cure it in the future, it can take a
severe toll on I/O.

--
Rick James - MySQL Geek

Thread
replication error 1236 start replication from impossible positiona.smith29 Apr
  • Re: replication error 1236 start replication from impossible positionJohan De Meersman29 Apr
    • Re: replication error 1236 start replication from impossible positionRick James29 Apr
      • Re: replication error 1236 start replication from impossiblepositiona.smith29 Apr
        • Re: replication error 1236 start replication from impossible positionRick James30 Apr