List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:December 7 2010 10:14am
Subject:Re: Limits to Multi-master replication?
View as plain text
I've had very bad experiences with multiple high-traffic drupal sites on a
single database; it behaves very badly. I can't comment on the other CMSes
you mention.

The main thing you're going to be running into, I suspect, is the number of
writes - you can't scale that short of cross-machine partitioning, be it
horizontal or vertical. Maybe it's possible to use MMM or MySQL Proxy on top
of such a setup to give the appearance of a single host again, but I imagine
there would be complexities.

We have since shifted to heavy-duty machines running separate Xen VMs for
every site. Just beginnin with that, but hopes are that will give us the
independence we need to keep an overloaded site from pulling all the others
down with it.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Matt Wallace
<lists@stripped>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at implementing a large-scale MySQL cluster utilising load-
> balancing and multi-master replication to support our customer databases.
>
> The cluster will start with a couple of databases, however it is intended
> migrate our existing infrastructure of around 24000 databases to this setup
> and then add further databases as we gain more customers.
>
> We need to support MyISAM and InnoDB as we are a mass-webhosting company
> and
> our customers are mainly using Joomla/Wordpress/Drupal/etc and as far as I
> am
> aware these packages do not support MySQL-Cluster, nor do they offer the
> opportunity to split reads and writes across multiple nodes.
>
> Our plan is to setup a shared IP Address on our Load-Balancers which points
> a cluster of both physical and virtual nodes configured in a multi-master
> replication scenario we would then configure a hostname to point to this IP
> Address and supply that as the sole "database server" for our shared
> hosting
> customers.
>
> I'm wondering what the pitfalls or limitations that others may have faced
> could be, so all help is appreciated!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Matt

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel

Thread
Limits to Multi-master replication?Matt Wallace7 Dec
  • Re: Limits to Multi-master replication?Johan De Meersman7 Dec
    • Re: Limits to Multi-master replication?Matt Wallace7 Dec
      • Re: Limits to Multi-master replication?Johan De Meersman7 Dec
      • Re: Limits to Multi-master replication?Rick James8 Dec