List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Wagner Bianchi Date:November 29 2010 7:59pm
Subject:Re: Saving an old database from a dead server
View as plain text
Let me just understand what you did. Well, you just copied the database
directory containing the ".frm" files and didn', copied the iddata, which is
the InnoDB tablespace. Am I right? If yes, you copy only tables with no
data. Is it what do you want?

Best regards.
--
WB

2010/11/29 Magnus Ekhall <koma@stripped>

> I did copy only the subdirectory of my
> database: /var/lib/mysql/mydatabase
>
> ibdata1 was not included in the copy.
>
> I did not set innodb_file_per_table to anything, so I guess it has a
> default value.
>
> All this was on a fresh VirtualBox install of Ubuntu server 6.06.
>
> I could have sworn that the mysql version was 4.1 (that was what the
> crashed server ran, and what I aimed to install), but mysqld --version
> gives:
>
> Ver 5.0.22-Debian_0ubuntu6.06.15-log
>
> Just copying that subdirectory, setting the correct ownership of the
> files and then running
>
> mysqldump -p mydatabase > dump
>
> gave me a nice dump which seems to contain what it should!
>
> That's about it really.
>
> Maybe copying the whole /var/lib/mysql directory would have worked
> directly on a new, modern version of mysql?
>
> Regards,
> Magnus
>

> mån 2010-11-29 klockan 11:25 -0800 skrev Rick James:
> > Please provide some details...
> > Did you copy only the database subdirectory?  Or the entire tree (as I
> > suggested)?
> > Did your cp include ibdata1?
> > What was the setting of innodb_file_per_table?
> > Which 5.0.xx ?
> >
> > (I often get questions about backuping up InnoDB tables via cp; I would
> > like to know if you have found a different way that is successful.)
> >
> > On 11/29/10 11:15 AM, Magnus Ekhall wrote:
> > > I'm using InnoDB.
> > >
> > > Good news: I think I just managed to get a dump from the database!
> > >
> > > I installed an old version of Ubuntu in a VirtualBox and copied the
> > > database files to that box. mysqldump seemed to work just fine then!
> > >
> > > :)
> > >
> > > Thanks all for the many ideas and for all the help.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Magnus

> InnoDB,
> of
> changed

> the

> If
> it is

> and
> need

> outage.
> have

> (in
> Ubuntu

> mysql,
> so

> > --
> > Rick James - MySQL Geek

Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMySQL)29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
            • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
              • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
                  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi30 Nov
                      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James30 Nov
Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead servera.smith28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System29 Nov