List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Magnus Ekhall Date:November 29 2010 7:43pm
Subject:Re: Saving an old database from a dead server
View as plain text
I did copy only the subdirectory of my
database: /var/lib/mysql/mydatabase

ibdata1 was not included in the copy.

I did not set innodb_file_per_table to anything, so I guess it has a
default value.

All this was on a fresh VirtualBox install of Ubuntu server 6.06.

I could have sworn that the mysql version was 4.1 (that was what the
crashed server ran, and what I aimed to install), but mysqld --version
gives:

Ver 5.0.22-Debian_0ubuntu6.06.15-log

Just copying that subdirectory, setting the correct ownership of the
files and then running

mysqldump -p mydatabase > dump

gave me a nice dump which seems to contain what it should!

That's about it really.

Maybe copying the whole /var/lib/mysql directory would have worked
directly on a new, modern version of mysql?

Regards,
Magnus

mån 2010-11-29 klockan 11:25 -0800 skrev Rick James:
> Please provide some details...
> Did you copy only the database subdirectory?  Or the entire tree (as I
> suggested)?
> Did your cp include ibdata1?
> What was the setting of innodb_file_per_table?
> Which 5.0.xx ?
>
> (I often get questions about backuping up InnoDB tables via cp; I would
> like to know if you have found a different way that is successful.)
>
> On 11/29/10 11:15 AM, Magnus Ekhall wrote:
> > I'm using InnoDB.
> >
> > Good news: I think I just managed to get a dump from the database!
> >
> > I installed an old version of Ubuntu in a VirtualBox and copied the
> > database files to that box. mysqldump seemed to work just fine then!
> >
> > :)
> >
> > Thanks all for the many ideas and for all the help.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Magnus
> >
> > mån 2010-11-29 klockan 16:54 -0200 skrev Wagner Bianchi:
> >> As Rick said, having a cp of files, in the case that you are using InnoDB,
> >> it isn't enough. Other problem is regarding to the compatibility model of
> >> InnoDB tablespace. The logical structure of this file have been changed
> >> since MySQL 5.0.
> >>
> >> So, are you using InnoDB or MyISAM in old database?
> >>
> >> Best regards.
> >> --
> >> WB

> is

> need

> have

> Ubuntu

> so

> Rick James - MySQL Geek

Thread
Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMySQL)29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
            • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
              • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
                  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi30 Nov
                      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James30 Nov
Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead servera.smith28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System29 Nov