List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick James Date:November 29 2010 7:25pm
Subject:Re: Saving an old database from a dead server
View as plain text
Please provide some details...
Did you copy only the database subdirectory?  Or the entire tree (as I
suggested)?
Did your cp include ibdata1?
What was the setting of innodb_file_per_table?
Which 5.0.xx ?

(I often get questions about backuping up InnoDB tables via cp; I would
like to know if you have found a different way that is successful.)

On 11/29/10 11:15 AM, Magnus Ekhall wrote:
> I'm using InnoDB.
>
> Good news: I think I just managed to get a dump from the database!
>
> I installed an old version of Ubuntu in a VirtualBox and copied the
> database files to that box. mysqldump seemed to work just fine then!
>
> :)
>
> Thanks all for the many ideas and for all the help.
>
> Regards,
> Magnus
>
> mån 2010-11-29 klockan 16:54 -0200 skrev Wagner Bianchi:
>> As Rick said, having a cp of files, in the case that you are using InnoDB,
>> it isn't enough. Other problem is regarding to the compatibility model of
>> InnoDB tablespace. The logical structure of this file have been changed
>> since MySQL 5.0.
>>
>> So, are you using InnoDB or MyISAM in old database?
>>
>> Best regards.
>> --
>> WB
>>
>> 2010/11/29 Rick James<rjames@stripped>
>>
>>> Put all of
>>>
>>> /var/lib/mysql
>>>
>>> on a fresh machine; not just the database directory.  Then backup the
>>> desired table(s).
>>>
>>> If you are using InnoDB , the directory you chose won't suffice.  If it is
>>> MyISAM, it should have worked.

>>> --
>>> Rick James - MySQL Geek
>>>

>>> --

Rick James - MySQL Geek

Thread
Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMySQL)29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
            • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
              • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
                  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi30 Nov
                      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James30 Nov
Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead servera.smith28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System29 Nov