List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Magnus Ekhall Date:November 29 2010 7:15pm
Subject:Re: Saving an old database from a dead server
View as plain text
I'm using InnoDB.

Good news: I think I just managed to get a dump from the database!

I installed an old version of Ubuntu in a VirtualBox and copied the
database files to that box. mysqldump seemed to work just fine then!

:)

Thanks all for the many ideas and for all the help.

Regards,
Magnus

mån 2010-11-29 klockan 16:54 -0200 skrev Wagner Bianchi:
> As Rick said, having a cp of files, in the case that you are using InnoDB,
> it isn't enough. Other problem is regarding to the compatibility model of
> InnoDB tablespace. The logical structure of this file have been changed
> since MySQL 5.0.
>
> So, are you using InnoDB or MyISAM in old database?
>
> Best regards.
> --
> WB
>
> 2010/11/29 Rick James <rjames@stripped>
>
> > Put all of
> >
> > /var/lib/mysql
> >
> > on a fresh machine; not just the database directory.  Then backup the
> > desired table(s).
> >
> > If you are using InnoDB , the directory you chose won't suffice.  If it is
> > MyISAM, it should have worked.
> >

> > On 11/28/10 12:17 PM, Magnus Ekhall wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am trying to do a rather odd replication of a mysql database and need
> >> some hints.
> >>
> >> An old server of mine died horribly during a recent power outage.
> >> It had a mysql 4.1 server. The hardware has just given up, but I have
> >> managed to get all files from the harddrive.
> >>
> >> Since the server won't boot I cannot run mysqldump.
> >>
> >> I then tried just moving the database files
> >> from /var/lib/mysql/thedatabas onto a fresh install of mysql (in Ubuntu
> >> 10.10, so version 5.x), but that did not work.
> >>
> >> Can anyone suggest a way to get a dump of my database somehow?
> >>
> >> I'm going to set up a new server running a recent version of mysql, so
> >> the equivalent of mysqldump is ideal.
> >>
> >> Any ideas at all?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Magnus
> >>

> > --
> > Rick James - MySQL Geek
> >

> > --

Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMySQL)29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
            • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
              • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
                  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi30 Nov
                      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James30 Nov
Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead servera.smith28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System29 Nov