List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green (MySQL) Date:November 29 2010 2:39pm
Subject:Re: Saving an old database from a dead server
View as plain text
On 11/28/2010 15:17, Magnus Ekhall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to do a rather odd replication of a mysql database and need
> some hints.
>
> An old server of mine died horribly during a recent power outage.
> It had a mysql 4.1 server. The hardware has just given up, but I have
> managed to get all files from the harddrive.
>
> Since the server won't boot I cannot run mysqldump.
>
> I then tried just moving the database files
> from /var/lib/mysql/thedatabas onto a fresh install of mysql (in Ubuntu
> 10.10, so version 5.x), but that did not work.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to get a dump of my database somehow?
>
> I'm going to set up a new server running a recent version of mysql, so
> the equivalent of mysqldump is ideal.
>
> Any ideas at all?

Just do a .tar install of a 4.1 using binaries from the download
archives. I found one source for these binaries in an old mirror site:
ftp://mysql.llarian.net/pub/mysql/Downloads/MySQL-4.1/

Then you can start up your old database (follow the guidelines of
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/multiple-servers.html) and take a
normal dump of your data.

--
Shawn Green
Oracle USA, Inc.
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMySQL)29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
            • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
              • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
                  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi30 Nov
                      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James30 Nov
Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead servera.smith28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System29 Nov