List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeff Smelser Date:November 28 2010 8:21pm
Subject:Re: Saving an old database from a dead server
View as plain text
Define "Did not work?"

As long as the my.cnf are the same, and mysql was NOT running when you
copied the files. it should work.

Unless the files are bad.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Magnus Ekhall <koma@stripped> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to do a rather odd replication of a mysql database and need
> some hints.
>
> An old server of mine died horribly during a recent power outage.
> It had a mysql 4.1 server. The hardware has just given up, but I have
> managed to get all files from the harddrive.
>
> Since the server won't boot I cannot run mysqldump.
>
> I then tried just moving the database files
> from /var/lib/mysql/thedatabas onto a fresh install of mysql (in Ubuntu
> 10.10, so version 5.x), but that did not work.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to get a dump of my database somehow?
>
> I'm going to set up a new server running a recent version of mysql, so
> the equivalent of mysqldump is ideal.
>
> Any ideas at all?
>
> Regards,
> Magnus

Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMySQL)29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
            • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
              • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
                  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi30 Nov
                      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James30 Nov
Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead servera.smith28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System29 Nov