List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Magnus Ekhall Date:November 28 2010 8:17pm
Subject:Saving an old database from a dead server
View as plain text
Hello,

I am trying to do a rather odd replication of a mysql database and need
some hints.

An old server of mine died horribly during a recent power outage.
It had a mysql 4.1 server. The hardware has just given up, but I have
managed to get all files from the harddrive.

Since the server won't boot I cannot run mysqldump.

I then tried just moving the database files
from /var/lib/mysql/thedatabas onto a fresh install of mysql (in Ubuntu
10.10, so version 5.x), but that did not work.

Can anyone suggest a way to get a dump of my database somehow?

I'm going to set up a new server running a recent version of mysql, so
the equivalent of mysqldump is ideal.

Any ideas at all?

Regards,
Magnus

Thread
Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverJeff Smelser28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMySQL)29 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
            • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
              • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi29 Nov
                  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall29 Nov
                    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverWagner Bianchi30 Nov
                      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverRick James30 Nov
Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
  • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System28 Nov
    • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMagnus Ekhall28 Nov
      • Re: Saving an old database from a dead servera.smith28 Nov
        • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverMihail Manolov29 Nov
          • Re: Saving an old database from a dead serverDatabase System29 Nov