List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick James Date:November 9 2010 8:25pm
Subject:Re: Table Locking
View as plain text
I do something like the following:
On a single machine (actually Master, with slaves),
1. In an atomic operation, do
1.1. Find an item to work on
1.2. Mark the item with worker id (eg, hostname and process id) and
timestamp
2. Proceed to work on it.  This may take minutes.

Note:
* The locking mechanism is independent of the processing that the worker
does.  In particular, it does not share any locks like InnoDB's
BEGIN/COMMIT.
* Because of the timestamp, there is the possibility of coming along
later and discovering that a worker died, and restarting that item.
* The processing can take arbitrarily long.  (But there needs to be a
limit, if you wish to reap dead workers.)

--
Rick James - MySQL Geek

Thread
Table LockingTears !8 Nov
  • Re: Table LockingMats Kindahl8 Nov
    • Re: Table LockingJohan De Meersman8 Nov
      • Re: Table LockingMats Kindahl8 Nov
        • Re: Table LockingJohan De Meersman9 Nov
    • Re: Table LockingTears !9 Nov
      • Re: Table LockingJustin Edwards9 Nov
        • Re: Table LockingRick James9 Nov
      • Re: Table LockingMats Kindahl9 Nov
      • Re: Table LockingJohan De Meersman10 Nov
        • Re: Table LockingMarcus Bointon10 Nov