List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tears ! Date:November 9 2010 6:19pm
Subject:Re: Table Locking
View as plain text
Dear Mats!

Thanks for your response, Here is what we want,

We need the lock to insert records from our multiple web servers that will
synchronize some scheduled tasks. Here is a scenario:

There are two web servers WEB1 and WEB2. Both have same scheduled jobs which
will process some files on a network storage server. The files belong to
users so we can classify the files by users. Let's suppose WEB1 started the
scheduled job to process files. It will first check if the files for User 1
are already being processed if not then insert a record in db to prevent
WEB2 to process the same user's data. So now when WEB2 will start the same
scheduled job it will not touch User1's files rather move on to the next
available user. Here is the algo:

1 - Check if a lock is already acquired on User1's files (a row in db
represents a lock)
2 - do some processing and reserve some relevant resources
3 - If no lock exists then acquire a lock for User1's files by inserting a
row in db
4 - If lock already has been acquired then move on to the next user and
start from step 1.

The problem here is that during step 1 and step 3 we do not want other
servers to query for any existing locks to avoid duplicate locks. Since our
two db servers are running in a master-master configuration on a shared IP
with heatbeat so it might happen that web1 locks a db table on db1 and web2
ends up querying db2. That's why we want a table to be locked on both db
servers.

Regards,

Umar

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Mats Kindahl <mats.kindahl@stripped>wrote:

> On 11/08/2010 07:13 AM, Tears ! wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am running MySQL with Master/Master replication. Yesterday I had been
> lock
> > a table on Server B. But on Server A the table was not locked.
> >
> > Is it possible when we lock table, it should be locked on both ends.
> >

> In general, no.
>
> Also, I wonder why you want to lock the other table?
>
> Best wishes,
> Mats Kindahl
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > Umar

Umar Draz
Network Administrator

Thread
Table LockingTears !8 Nov
  • Re: Table LockingMats Kindahl8 Nov
    • Re: Table LockingJohan De Meersman8 Nov
      • Re: Table LockingMats Kindahl8 Nov
        • Re: Table LockingJohan De Meersman9 Nov
    • Re: Table LockingTears !9 Nov
      • Re: Table LockingJustin Edwards9 Nov
        • Re: Table LockingRick James9 Nov
      • Re: Table LockingMats Kindahl9 Nov
      • Re: Table LockingJohan De Meersman10 Nov
        • Re: Table LockingMarcus Bointon10 Nov