List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Marcus Bointon Date:September 7 2010 5:17pm
Subject:Restore with a different master
View as plain text
I have a pair of servers running standard active/passive circular replication using mmm,
call them A and B. I want to introduce new server C, ultimately to replace B. I'm setting
it up by restoring an xtrabackup snapshot taken from B (using the practice of doing
backups on a slave to keep backup traffic off the active master). I know the details of
the master log and position for the backup, but it's from B not A, and though there must
be one, I've no way of knowing what the corresponding log and position on A is.

Here's the background: I want to move from:

A <-> B

to (slave C from A)

C <- A <-> B

to (break replication back from B)

C <- A -> B

to (close loop from A to C)

C <-> A -> B

to (remove B)

C <-> A

As far as I can see I can either:
• Take a new backup from A
• Switch B to be active master and retire A instead (A and B are identical)

Any other suggestions?

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info@hand CRM solutions

Restore with a different masterMarcus Bointon7 Sep
  • Re: Restore with a different masterMarcus Bointon7 Sep
  • Re: Restore with a different masterEber Duarte7 Sep
    • Re: Restore with a different masterRick James8 Sep