List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Rogers Date:June 7 2010 1:24pm
Subject:Replication between one master and multiple slaves
View as plain text
Situation:
Shared server (over which I have control), running about 30 databases
(for 30 websites). I would like to replicate (say) 5 of those databases
to their (separate) client's premises.

Which is the best way to do this? Host server is a Ubuntu. Actually it's
a virtual server with 512MB RAM, which is easily adequate for it's
current load.

Obviously, if I dump all the 5 databases to a binlog then replicate from
there, each of the 5 clients will see all of the data for all 5
databases, which is a bandwidth and security issue. I know that there
are two standard options to avoid this: run those 5 databases in 5
separate database server instances, or run 5 additional instances using
Blackhole databases which generate their own binlogs. Doing this with a
stock Ubuntu (Debian) install doesn't seem particularly straightforward
and I've not seen any documentation for doing this (other than by doing
a fresh install from source), which is not practical on an existing
server (and in any case I would like to stick with packages from the
repositories that are easy to keep up to date). Also, I have concerns
about creating extra instances from a memory point of view (or is this
not a significant issue)?

Other options include writing something that can interpret the binlog
and split it into separate binlog files for separate databases (would
this be hard?)

Registered in England (0456 0902) @ 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG

Thread
Replication between one master and multiple slavesMark Rogers7 Jun
  • Re: Replication between one master and multiple slavesRick James7 Jun
    • Re: Replication between one master and multiple slavesMark Rogers8 Jun
      • Re: Replication between one master and multiple slavesMats Kindahl8 Jun
        • Re: Replication between one master and multiple slavesMark Rogers21 Jun