List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Marcus Bointon Date:April 7 2010 6:56am
Subject:Re: Circular replication?
View as plain text
On 7 Apr 2010, at 06:38, Mike Diehl wrote:

> 1.  Will it work?  If so, is it stable?

Yes, and in my experience, yes.

> 2.  What happens when I want to add/remove a host from the circle?

You need to reset master info for each slave link.

> 3.  Is there a better way to do it?  I do NOT want a solution where I have to
> write to one server and read from another.  The defeats my reliability
> motivation.

Replication does not buy you performance at all, if anything it reduces it. Because of
this, a pair of servers in master-master is pretty much optimal. Any more doesn't buy you
much (unless perhaps one is offsite). You're probably better off with 2 masters and a
slave. I'd recommend that you use mmm to manage it all as that extends the redundancy
right to the app level, giving you transparent failover - it works really well for me.

Splitting reads and writes has nothing to do with reliability - you can choose to do so or
not regardless of the replication setup so you never _have_ to do it, but you might _want_
to. Splitting reads and writes CAN buy you performance as you can more or less multiply
read performance by the number of slaves, however, look into replication latency to be
sure your app can cope with that (especially the worst case of read-what-I-just-wrote).

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info@hand CRM solutions

Circular replication?Mike Diehl7 Apr
  • Re: Circular replication?Marcus Bointon7 Apr
    • Re: Circular replication?Mike Diehl7 Apr
      • Re: Circular replication?Marcus Bointon7 Apr
        • Re: Circular replication?Mike Diehl7 Apr
      • Re: Circular replication?Andrew Garner7 Apr
        • Re: Circular replication?Max Schubert7 Apr
          • Re: Circular replication?Mike Diehl7 Apr
            • Re: Circular replication?Max Schubert7 Apr
  • Re: Circular replication?Ben Mildren7 Apr