List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Song Voong Date:January 19 2010 4:01pm
Subject:Re: Don't replicating without USE db;
View as plain text
Does this only happen on 5.0? In 5.1 using the row replication will fix
this?

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:33 AM, Mats Kindahl <mats@stripped> wrote:

> Alper Oguz wrote:
> > Thank you for explanations Rick.
> >
> > But I don't understand such as Case 2. "INSET INTO anotherdb.tbl..."
> > contains database information. Why it's not write that info to the
> > binlogs? Why Mysql still need to USE db command? I think it's very
> > stupidly.. :(
>
> I'm not going to say that it's not stupid (because it is), but to
> extracting the database require additional processing even for
> statements that do not require it. This introduces a penalty to all
> statement even if they do not qualify the table name.
>
> In addition, multi-table updates will have problem in deciding if the
> statement would be filtered or not if the tables are in different
> databases, and using a special rule for updates would just be confusing.
>
> These two things, taken together, was probably the reason that it was
> not added initially.
>
> Now, there are users that rely on this behavior and therefore it
> cannot be removed.
>
> If you want to have filtering correct, use row-based replication.
> There the filtering is on the actual table and database, and not on
> the current database.
>
> Just my few cents,
> Mats Kindahl
>

> > thank you again
> >
> > Alper
> >

> > Suresh Kuna wrote On 07-01-2010 07:40:
> >> Good use case explanation Rick.
> >>
> >> Suresh Kuna
> >> MySQL DBA
> >>
> >> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Rick James <rjames@stripped
> >> <mailto:rjames@stripped>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     Assuming you have binlog/replication-do/ignore...
> >>     (If you don't, then everything gets replicated.)
> >>
> >>     Case 1:
> >>     USE dbname;
> >>     INSERT INTO dbname.tbl ...
> >>     This case is rather redundant.  Except that replication looks at the
> >>     USE to decide whether to replicate the INSERT.  (One can argue that
> >>     this is a stupid design.  It does bite a lot of users.)
> >>
> >>     Case 2:
> >>     USE dbname;
> >>     INSERT INTO anotherdb.tbl ...
> >>     The INSERT works with 'anotherdb', but replication could be fooled
> >>     (see above).
> >>
> >>     Case 3:
> >>     USE dbname;
> >>     INSERT INTO tbl ...
> >>     Here, 'dbname' is needed to say which 'tbl' is to be INSERTed into.
> >>       There is no ambiguity in replication.
> >>
> >>     Case 4:
> >>     INSERT INTO onedb.tbl SELECT * FROM anotherdb.foo;
> >>     If onedb is replicated but anotherdb is not, you have a problem.
> >>
> >>     Cases:
> >>     LOAD DATA; SELECT INTO OUTFILE; etc
> >>     These have various issues.
> >>

> >>     Rick James
> >>     MySQL Geeks - Consulting & Review

Don't replicating without USE db;Alper Oguz6 Jan
  • RE: Don't replicating without USE db;Rick James6 Jan
    • RE: Don't replicating without USE db;Database System6 Jan
      • RE: Don't replicating without USE db;Rick James6 Jan
        • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Suresh Kuna7 Jan
          • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Alper Oguz19 Jan
            • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Mats Kindahl19 Jan
              • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Song Voong19 Jan
                • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Rick James19 Jan
                  • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Jeff Smelser19 Jan
                • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Mats Kindahl19 Jan