List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Suresh Kuna Date:January 7 2010 5:40am
Subject:Re: Don't replicating without USE db;
View as plain text
Good use case explanation Rick.

Suresh Kuna
MySQL DBA

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Rick James <rjames@stripped> wrote:

> Assuming you have binlog/replication-do/ignore...
> (If you don't, then everything gets replicated.)
>
> Case 1:
> USE dbname;
> INSERT INTO dbname.tbl ...
> This case is rather redundant.  Except that replication looks at the USE to
> decide whether to replicate the INSERT.  (One can argue that this is a
> stupid design.  It does bite a lot of users.)
>
> Case 2:
> USE dbname;
> INSERT INTO anotherdb.tbl ...
> The INSERT works with 'anotherdb', but replication could be fooled (see
> above).
>
> Case 3:
> USE dbname;
> INSERT INTO tbl ...
> Here, 'dbname' is needed to say which 'tbl' is to be INSERTed into.  There
> is no ambiguity in replication.
>
> Case 4:
> INSERT INTO onedb.tbl SELECT * FROM anotherdb.foo;
> If onedb is replicated but anotherdb is not, you have a problem.
>
> Cases:
> LOAD DATA; SELECT INTO OUTFILE; etc
> These have various issues.
>

> Rick James
> MySQL Geeks - Consulting & Review

Don't replicating without USE db;Alper Oguz6 Jan
  • RE: Don't replicating without USE db;Rick James6 Jan
    • RE: Don't replicating without USE db;Database System6 Jan
      • RE: Don't replicating without USE db;Rick James6 Jan
        • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Suresh Kuna7 Jan
          • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Alper Oguz19 Jan
            • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Mats Kindahl19 Jan
              • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Song Voong19 Jan
                • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Rick James19 Jan
                  • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Jeff Smelser19 Jan
                • Re: Don't replicating without USE db;Mats Kindahl19 Jan