List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Madison Kelly Date:December 10 2009 11:13pm
Subject:disabling replication and bin logs on MySQL v4
View as plain text
Hi all,

   Being a PgSQL person, I'm woefully ignorant on the innards of MySQL.
I've inherited a MySQL server that used to replicate to a now-gone
slave. I've been trying to find out how to safely disable the master's
habit of writing out the binary logs normally read by the slave. These
generate about 9GB of files a day and the host just doesn't have the
space for that.

   I've been using "PURGE BINARY LOGS TO 'file';" to clean it up, but it
strikes me that the logs shouldn't be created at all. I was tempted to
just comment out the 'log-bin' line in 'my.cnf', but I thought it'd be
best to see what you guys had to say on the topic.

   It's MySQL 4.1.20 i686 on CentOS 4.3.

Thanks!

Madi
Thread
disabling replication and bin logs on MySQL v4Madison Kelly11 Dec
  • RE: disabling replication and bin logs on MySQL v4Rick James11 Dec
    • Re: disabling replication and bin logs on MySQL v4Madison Kelly11 Dec
      • Re: disabling replication and bin logs on MySQL v4Andrew Garner11 Dec
        • Re: disabling replication and bin logs on MySQL v4Madison Kelly11 Dec
    • Re: disabling replication and bin logs on MySQL v4Simon J Mudd13 Dec