List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Marcus Bointon Date:December 10 2009 7:49pm
Subject:Re: best practice - restore slave
View as plain text
On 10 Dec 2009, at 20:35, Song Voong wrote:

> My question is while the master is running is it a good ideas to do the
> dump? Or do I need to stop all activities on master to do the dump?

It's safe if you lock tables while doing the dump, but then clients won't be able to write
to the DB. If you don't do this, you can end up with inconsistent data as the database can
change during the dump. Alternatively if you're using innodb tables you can use a hot
backup system like xtrabackup, which can take a consistent backup without blocking write
access to the master, and has the added benefit that the restore on the slave is more or
less instant.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info@hand CRM solutions

best practice - restore slaveSong Voong10 Dec
  • Re: best practice - restore slaveMarcus Bointon10 Dec
    • Re: best practice - restore slaveAndrew Garner10 Dec