List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Marcus Bointon Date:September 28 2009 7:18pm
Subject:Re: move master?
View as plain text
On 28 Sep 2009, at 20:33, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

> Hmm. I guess I need a little more detail than this. "circular"
> replication means master-master? OK, but how do I move the slave
> when all the logname information is different?

You've told us that t is a slave to a, so t already contains
everything that's on a, so all you need to do is point all your
clients at t, and 'stop slave' on t. No data needs to be moved (unless
you have non-replicated stuff you've not told us about). Now you can
replace a with your new box (call it 'b'), load it up with a dump form
t, set it up as a slave to t (so now b<-t->k). Circular is master-
master, so close the loop on that config so then you have: b<->t->k
(this is particularly easy if no writes are going to b). At this point
you can switch clients to b, and break replication from t to b,
leaving you with b->t->k, which is where you were originally with a.

It doesn't matter what you have called your log files - you tell the
slave the log file name when you're setting it up with CHANGE MASTER.
You don't need to copy log files around to set up a new slave.

mmm can help with this kind of thing - if you had it set up already,
you could do all this without having to touch the clients, however
it's pretty hard to set up without breaking clients temporarily, so it
probably won't help much.

Marcus
move master?Chris Kantarjiev28 Sep
  • Re: move master?Marcus Bointon28 Sep
    • Re: move master?Walter Heck - OlinData.com28 Sep
    • Re: move master?Chris Kantarjiev28 Sep
      • Re: move master?Marcus Bointon28 Sep
        • Re: move master?Chris Kantarjiev29 Sep
          • Re: move master?Marcus Bointon29 Sep
    • Re: move master?Chris Kantarjiev28 Sep