List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeremy Cole Date:August 28 2008 3:36pm
Subject:Re: Thoughts on MySQL replication
View as plain text
Hi,

Mostly because it's hard to write new code while gagging, convulsing,
and choking on our own blood spilling from our eyeballs after reading
the current code.... :)

OK, I might have exaggerated a *little* but not much. :)

Regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
> Simon,
>
> You're right about the two bits.  And the idea of a replication proxy has
> been floating around for years now.  But so far I've not seen anyone build
> it...
>
> Jeremy
>
> On 8/28/08, Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@stripped> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've been using MySQL replication for some time but come from a
>> replication background using Sybase.
>>
>> MySQL replication works very well is quick and simple to configure but
>> has some limitations, notably that you can't configure a MySQL server
>> as a slave of  multiple masters.
>>
>> One of the things which struck me is that AFAICS the MySQL replication
>> code has 2 major parts:
>> 1. a part which connects to the master and pulls the binlog information
>>    to the local server, storing it in the relay-logs.
>> 2. a part which applies the relay logs talking to the database as if it
>>    were a SQL client.
>>
>> The description may not be exactly right but I think it's close.
>>
>> Now if this MySQL code were put into an external program you could
>> configure 1 or more replication servers and solve many of the
>> limitations of the current code. You also simplify the MySQL server
>> as it's replication knowledge is reduced, and potentially can improve
>> replication behaviour (upgrades in the replication processes) without
>> affecting the MySQL server itself.
>>
>> Would it be perhaps worthwhile doing something like this to allow for more
>> sophisticated replication configurations in larger mysql installations?
>>
>> Just wonder what people think about this idea.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> --

high performance mysql consulting
www.provenscaling.com
Thread
Thoughts on MySQL replicationSimon J Mudd28 Aug
  • Re: Thoughts on MySQL replicationJeremy Zawodny28 Aug
    • Re: Thoughts on MySQL replicationJeremy Cole28 Aug
      • Re: Thoughts on MySQL replicationSimon J Mudd29 Aug
    • Re: Thoughts on MySQL replicationSimon J Mudd29 Aug
  • RE: Thoughts on MySQL replicationRick James28 Aug
    • Re: Thoughts on MySQL replicationSimon J Mudd29 Aug
      • RE: Thoughts on MySQL replicationRick James29 Aug
        • Re: Thoughts on MySQL replicationSimon J Mudd30 Aug
          • RE: Thoughts on MySQL replicationRick James3 Sep