List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jesse Date:July 22 2008 12:08pm
Subject:Best way to recover from Replication Failure
View as plain text
OK.  Simple question. :-)  What's the best way to recover from replication
failure?

You're probably going to say, "Depends on what caused it to stop to begin
with".  OK.  Let's say it was a foreign key violation (I use InnoDB mostly).
I have yet to try to recover from this, but I'm assuming that I have to find
out if there is a parent record missing, or what exactly caused it, then add
the parent (that was somehow missed).  OK.  Ignoring this for a second, is
there anything wrong with completely re-setting replication?  In other
words, if I lock the master, dump the data, perform a RESET MASTER, get the
new binlog file name and position, then copy everything down to the slave
and re-set it up.

It would seem to me that it would be easier to completely reset everything
sometimes than it would be to figure out what records are different and
add/edit, whatever, those records so they match?

I'm also aware of the mk-table-sync function, but I can't even get
mk-table-checksum to work on my ws2003/Debian master/slave setup, so I have
no idea how to get the mk- utility to work.

Thanks for any information that anyone can offer.

Jesse

Thread
Best way to recover from Replication FailureJesse22 Jul
  • Re: Best way to recover from Replication FailureMichael Bunzel22 Jul
  • Re: Best way to recover from Replication FailureJesse22 Jul
    • Re: Best way to recover from Replication FailureMarcus Bointon22 Jul
    • Re: Best way to recover from Replication FailureMichael Bunzel22 Jul
  • Re: Best way to recover from Replication FailureJesse23 Jul