List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jesse Date:July 15 2008 11:45am
Subject:Re: Questions about replication
View as plain text
> I've been a bit concerned about statement based replication - if you  ever
> use non-deterministic functions like NOW() and RAND(), your  master and
> slave may contain different data, and row-based replication  solves that.
> I'm running 5.1 locally for development and have not seen  any problems,
> but I've not deployed it anywhere yet.

That was kind of my concern.  I do use some triggers that use Now() to load
up an AddedDate, or UpdatedDate field.  I don't believe I use Rand() in
anything.  I use that in my code from time-to-time in the ORDER BY clause to
produce a randomly sorted list, but I don't believe I'm using that anywhere
other than that.

I'm not comfortable using a beta for our production databases, so I guess
RBR will be out of the question until they get a final release of 5.1

> Take a look at the maatkit scripts (http://www.maatkit.org/) for  keeping
> an eye on your replication slave contents.

Those appear to be perl scripts.  We're using Microsoft servers.  However, I
did install a perl script runner at one point, but not being familiar with
it or Linux much, I had difficulty getting it to run.  At any rate, once I
get this thing going, hopefully I'll be able to use this to make sure that
replication is working.

Thanks,
Jesse

Thread
Questions about replicationJesse15 Jul
  • RE: Questions about replicationRick James15 Jul
  • Re: Questions about replicationMarcus Bointon15 Jul
  • Re: Questions about replicationJesse15 Jul
    • Re: Questions about replicationDevananda15 Jul
  • Re: Questions about replicationJesse15 Jul
    • RE: Questions about replicationRick James15 Jul
  • Re: Questions about replicationJesse16 Jul
  • Re: Questions about replicationJesse16 Jul
    • Re: Questions about replicationAndrew Garner16 Jul
  • Re: Questions about replicationJesse16 Jul