List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Bergen Date:April 20 2008 9:46pm
Subject:Re: innodb replication
View as plain text
Hi,

The flush tables with read lock issue has to do with copying the files
off the disk, not with using mysqldump's sql. The issue is that flush
tables with read lock is enough to prevent clients from modifying
innodb but it doesn't make innodb "hold still" . It still has
background threads modifying the data files. If you did a flush tables
with read lock; then copied the data files they will almost certainly
be corrupted because different parts of the files are copied at
different times.

If you use mysqldump --master-data it will turn on --lock-all-tables
automatically giving you a consistent snapshot across all storage
engines. The downside of this is that mysqldump has to hold a read
lock the entire time it's dumping data. If you're only using innodb
you can specify --master-data --single-transaction mysqldump will
issue a flush tables with read lock long enough to copy the master
data and start a transaction. With a transaction started innodb will
only return rows that were committed before the transaction was
started. Other transactions can proceed and innodb won't see the rows.

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Rick James <rjames@stripped> wrote:
> Rumor has it that InnoDB used to still have some things in RAM after the  "FLUSH
> TABLES WITH READ LOCK", thereby disallowing it as a safe way to dump InnoDB tables.
> Another rumor has it that that has been fixed.  [Sorry for lack of details; hope someone
> will respond with details.]
>
>  I prefer to stop mysql, copy the necessary directories, then restart mysql.  An
> improvement on that is to use Snapshots (eg LVM on Linux).  They make that extremely fast,
> hence very practical.  (The copy can be done from the snapshot _after_ restarting mysql.)

Eric Bergen
eric.bergen@stripped
http://www.provenscaling.com
Thread
innodb replicationEdson Noboru Yamada23 Mar
  • Re: innodb replicationMarcus Bointon24 Mar
  • Re: innodb replicationEd W18 Apr
    • Re: innodb replicationMarcus Bointon18 Apr
      • Re: innodb replicationEd W18 Apr
        • Re: innodb replicationMarcus Bointon18 Apr
      • RE: innodb replicationRick James19 Apr
        • Re: innodb replicationEric Bergen20 Apr
          • Re: innodb replicationAugusto Bott22 Apr
            • Re: innodb replicationMark Callaghan22 Apr
              • Re: innodb replicationAugusto Bott22 Apr
                • Re: innodb replicationEric Bergen22 Apr
              • Re: innodb replicationAugusto Bott23 Apr
                • Re: innodb replicationEric Bergen23 Apr
                  • RE: innodb replicationRick James23 Apr
                    • Re: innodb replicationMarcus Bointon23 Apr
                    • Re: innodb replicationJeremy Cole23 Apr
                      • RE: innodb replicationRick James23 Apr
                        • Re: innodb replicationJeremy Cole23 Apr
                          • RE: innodb replicationRick James23 Apr
                            • Re: innodb replicationMarcus Bointon23 Apr
                              • Re: innodb replicationEric Bergen24 Apr
                                • Re: innodb replicationMoon's Father21 May