List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kaushal Shriyan Date:April 7 2008 10:34am
Subject:Re: Master - Slave MySQL Database Server
View as plain text
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Marcus Bointon <marcus@stripped>
wrote:

> On 7 Apr 2008, at 11:09, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>
> > is this a correct documentation
> > http://howtoforge.com/mysql_master_master_replication for Master Slave
> > Replication
> >

> Well, it's for master-master, not master-slave. Also see
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/04/20/advanced-mysql-replication.html
>
>  My requirement was if the Master goes down, the slave should take care
> > and
> > act as Master. the Master should acts as slave and reversing of this
> > role.
> > is this possible
> >

> Yes. With master-master, neither machine is considered a slave (actually
> they are both slaves too). However, there are good practical reasons to
> treat one as a master, for example it may be on superior hardware, or you
> need to ensure transactional integrity which you can't do spread across
> servers.
>
> When you have master-master up and running, you need to deal with failover
> at the application level - so your app needs to know about both servers and
> know to try the other one if its default connection fails.

In that case so setting up Master-Master will serve my purpose of  "if the
Master goes down, the slave should take care and
act as Master. the Master should acts as slave and reversing of this role."

Am i correct.

>  Also how can i test this setup from the MySQL client. Any test cases
> > available would be of great help to test out this MySQL Database Master
> > and
> > Slave Server
> >

> It's easy to test - log into each instance. Do an insert on one and it
> should be available pretty much immediately from the other, then test it in
> the other direction. Then try the same thing for deletes. After that, you
> just need to monitor the 'seconds_behind_master' field in the output from
> "show slave status" on each.
>
> Most guides neglect to tell you about:
>
> mysqldump -u root -p --opt --quick --single-transaction --master-data mydb
> > mydb.sql

I believe the above command does a full backup of database "mydb" In that
case whats the best usage of the mysqldump command to restore it in the
other host

> If you're using InnoDB everywhere, this will get you a data dump in a
> consistent state without having to lock tables or otherwise block access to
> your DB while you're setting up the replication.
>
> Marcus
> --
> Marcus Bointon
> Synchromedia Limited: Creators of http://www.smartmessages.net/
> UK resellers of info@hand CRM solutions
> marcus@stripped | http://www.synchromedia.co.uk/

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Thread
Master - Slave MySQL Database ServerKaushal Shriyan7 Apr
  • Re: Master - Slave MySQL Database ServerMarcus Bointon7 Apr
    • Re: Master - Slave MySQL Database ServerKaushal Shriyan7 Apr
      • Re: Master - Slave MySQL Database ServerMarcus Bointon7 Apr
        • Re: Master - Slave MySQL Database ServerKaushal Shriyan7 Apr
          • Re: Master - Slave MySQL Database ServerMarcus Bointon7 Apr
            • Re: Master - Slave MySQL Database ServerKaushal Shriyan10 Apr
              • Re: Master - Slave MySQL Database ServerMarcus Bointon10 Apr