List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed W Date:March 23 2008 8:56am
Subject:Re: Basic questions on slave servers
View as plain text
Chris.Leeworthy@stripped wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> On your first point, MySQL itself will not stop you from inserting or
> updating records on tables in the slave database, it's something you will
> need to protect yourself against.  One of my colleagues discovered this to
> his cost when he accidentaly inserted records on the slave instead of the
> master.

I'm suprised it isn't mentioned more often by the tools in the maatkit
are absolutely fantastic and make repairing from that kind of damage
very achievable.  I haven't seen how they work on very large databases,
but at least they will have a go at figuring out what happened and
generate some clues to recover

For those who don't know what I am talking about there is a very clever
tool which attempts to figure out the difference between two db replicas
and generates a set of sql which brings the databases back into sync -
it's designed to fix broken replication sync and so it generates sql
which should fix the differences (you can then examine it and decide if
it helps or not...)

Much easier than tearing down the database to resync when a failure
occurs!  Can also repair damage where someone updates a slave server for
example!

Ed W
Thread
Basic questions on slave serversAndy Smith18 Mar
  • Re: Basic questions on slave serversChris.Leeworthy18 Mar
    • Re: Basic questions on slave serversEd W23 Mar
      • Re: Basic questions on slave serversArthur Fuller23 Mar
        • Re: Basic questions on slave serversEd W23 Mar
  • RE: Basic questions on slave serversEdward F. Pauley II18 Mar
Re: Basic questions on slave serversAndy Smith18 Mar
  • RE: Basic questions on slave serversRick James19 Mar
Re: Basic questions on slave serversAndy Smith20 Mar
  • Re: Basic questions on slave serversMartin MC Brown20 Mar
Re: Basic questions on slave serversAndy Smith20 Mar
  • Re: Basic questions on slave serversMarcus Bointon20 Mar
  • RE: Basic questions on slave serversRick James20 Mar
    • Re: Basic questions on slave serversEric Frazier20 Mar
      • RE: Basic questions on slave serversRick James20 Mar
        • Re: Basic questions on slave serversMoon's Father21 Mar
Re: Basic questions on slave serversAndy Smith21 Mar