List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris.Leeworthy Date:March 18 2008 2:52pm
Subject:Re: Basic questions on slave servers
View as plain text

Hi Andy,

On your first point, MySQL itself will not stop you from inserting or
updating records on tables in the slave database, it's something you will
need to protect yourself against.  One of my colleagues discovered this to
his cost when he accidentaly inserted records on the slave instead of the
master.  I should probably qualify this by saying we work with MyISAM
tables, I don't know how the other database engines might cope with it.

On the second one, I can't really remember well enough to give an
answer.  What I can say is that the one time I needed to do it the
documentation on the MySQL website guided me through.

With any luck the more experienced folk around here might give you a more
detailed answer.

Best Regards

Chris.
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   "Andy Smith"              |                                           |
|   <a.smith@stripped>      |                                           |
|                             |                                         To|
|   18/03/2008 13:14          |                                <replicatio|
|                             |                                n@stripped|
|                             |                                ql.com>    |
|                             |                                         cc|
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                    Subject|
|                             |                                Basic      |
|                             |                                questions  |
|                             |                                on slave   |
|                             |                                servers    |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

Hi list,

hopefully a couple of easy to answer fundamental questions on a simple
master slave setup.

1) When a DB is in slave mode, does MySQL prevent any other updates to the
DB other than those from the master?
ie, can someone accidentally update the slave with data that doesnt match
the master DB or is this prevented, or put
another way, is the slave effectively in read-only mode whilst it is
running as a slave?

2) If the master should fail and I want my slave to run as a normal
standalone read/write DB what do I have to do? Is it
just:
stop slave;
reset master;
?

thanks in advance! Andy.

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Limited nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities

Basic questions on slave serversAndy Smith18 Mar
  • Re: Basic questions on slave serversChris.Leeworthy18 Mar
    • Re: Basic questions on slave serversEd W23 Mar
      • Re: Basic questions on slave serversArthur Fuller23 Mar
        • Re: Basic questions on slave serversEd W23 Mar
  • RE: Basic questions on slave serversEdward F. Pauley II18 Mar
Re: Basic questions on slave serversAndy Smith18 Mar
  • RE: Basic questions on slave serversRick James19 Mar
Re: Basic questions on slave serversAndy Smith20 Mar
  • Re: Basic questions on slave serversMartin MC Brown20 Mar
Re: Basic questions on slave serversAndy Smith20 Mar
  • Re: Basic questions on slave serversMarcus Bointon20 Mar
  • RE: Basic questions on slave serversRick James20 Mar
    • Re: Basic questions on slave serversEric Frazier20 Mar
      • RE: Basic questions on slave serversRick James20 Mar
        • Re: Basic questions on slave serversMoon's Father21 Mar
Re: Basic questions on slave serversAndy Smith21 Mar