List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Marcus Bointon Date:December 20 2007 9:49am
Subject:Re: load balanced config
View as plain text
On 20 Dec 2007, at 08:39, Nicola Delbono wrote:

> By load balancing I mean just directing requests to 2 or more servers
> (read/write)
> keeping all of them updated (if possible in reality)

Normal replication in MySQL does not allow you to implement load
balancing for writes. That said, there are two ways you can achieve
it: by using partitioning, either manually in your clients, in the
database server using MySQL 5.1, or by using Sequoia between client
and servers.

Replication will allow you to gain redundancy, but since every server
has to do every write, you gain nothing from a load point of view.

You might find that implementing a caching layer using something like
memcache brings better results than using load balanced DBs - doubling
your number of DB servers can give you a theoretical maximum of a 2x
speed increase (which you're unlikely to get), whereas caching alone
could get you 200x on the queries that matter.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info@hand CRM solutions

load balanced configNicola Delbono20 Dec
  • Re: load balanced configMarcus Bointon20 Dec