List:Replication« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:FMGreen Date:December 5 2007 1:05pm
Subject:Re: Multi Master Setup
View as plain text
Does 'run away' count as a recommendation? ;o)

I have master<->master replication set up (it's for a load-balanced helpdesk
system) and am currently trying to change back to master<->slave.  When it
worked it was fine, but when it broke it caused chaos.  The reason is that
when replication broke (due to a duplicate db entry) it took us two days to
realise what was going on.  Both dbs were acting as 'masters' and processing
data individually so it wasn't immediately obvious there was a problem.  We
ended up with helpdesk tickets that had the same ticket number but different
contents on each server.  So when we decided to restore we had to pick one
db and lose the data from the other.  We're still having lots of problems.
Unless you have a way of monitoring when replication goes down then
master<->master has the potential a create a real mess.  I'm very new to
mysql but that's been my experience.