List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:July 11 2014 9:07pm
Subject:Re: Problem with attempt to share a Connection between threads
View as plain text
On 7/11/2014 14:41, Damien Kick wrote:
> Apple's Mail seems to keep stripping quotes.  Sorry if it does it again.

Actually, what's happening is that you're sending HTML mail to the
mailing list, and the mailing list is transforming that to plain text in
a brute force fashion.  You've been sending me duplicate copies of some
posts, and those do contain the nicely formatted quotes, but I can't
reply to those, since that breaks threading on the list.

Consider switching Mail to plain text by default.  Mail.app is smart
about automatically switching to HTML mail when you insert an image or
hyperlink, or style the text with fonts and such, so there's really not
a good reason to let it use HTML mail by default.

Contrast Thunderbird, which insists that you select the compose mode
up-front, and can't change it after you start a new message.

> I realize that this isn't definitive, but it makes me suspect some
> kind of race in the internals of Connection.

Two independent Connection objects shouldn't be sharing any memory,
except via the MySQL C API.  Therefore, the race is more likely to be
be in the C API layer.

I've been proven wrong before.  The burden of proof is on you, though.

So far, all you've shown is that there is a way to use MySQL++ to cause
a crash.  You haven't yet proven that MySQL++ itself is causing it.  The
best way to prove that is to provide a patch that fixes it.

> Unfortunately, valgrind doesn't work reliably on a Mac yet, at least
> not according to the Fink port I've got.

There's a fork here that's supposed to work on 10.9:

     https://github.com/fredericgermain/valgrind/

Alternately, you could spin up a Linux VM.
Thread
Problem with attempt to share a Connection between threadsDamien Kick10 Jul 2014
  • Re: Problem with attempt to share a Connection between threadsWarren Young11 Jul 2014
    • Re: Problem with attempt to share a Connection between threadsDamien Kick11 Jul 2014
[...]
                      • Re: Problem with attempt to share a Connection between threadsAdrian Cornish11 Jul 2014
  • Re: Problem with attempt to share a Connection between threadsChris Frey13 Jul 2014