List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:January 9 2014 5:35pm
Subject:Re: Next MySQL++ build system
View as plain text

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/C_Plugins_for_Loadable_Commands

>> Autoconf can create a CMakefile from a
>> CMakefile.in, and MySQL++ can use the config.h emitted by the configure
>> script.
>>

> Why would you want to do that?

Because it already exists, and many of the tests and flags defined in configure.ac only
make sense on platforms that can use Autoconf.  There's no point rewriting those in CMake
script.

Autoconf also provides a very useful service: substitution of the version number into
files that need it.  Currently, there are *eight* of these.  Can CMake do that?  If not,
moving entirely to CMake increases the difficulty of producing a release.

It may be that, in stages, we gradually do away with Autoconf.  I don't see a compelling
reason that we must do a big-bang conversion.

> Either you replace the whole build system, or
> you don't.

False dichotomy.

You're going to have to do better than vaguely predict "disaster" if you want to sway me.
What form will this disaster take?  What breaks, specifically?

> Also, debugging was much more difficult because you didn't have a VS
> project.

I don't think that will be a serious problem for MySQL++.  The Visual Studio debugger lets
a program linked to MySQL++ trace into MySQL++, which is how end users will be debugging
MySQL++, if they ever need to.

MySQL++ does ship many executables of its own, but except for the unfinished ssqlsxlat,
they are all examples, which should be debugged already.
Thread
Next MySQL++ build systemWarren Young8 Jan 2014
  • Re: Next MySQL++ build systemWarren Young8 Jan 2014
  • RE: Next MySQL++ build systemAlex.Burton8 Jan 2014
    • Re: Next MySQL++ build systemWarren Young9 Jan 2014
      • Re: Next MySQL++ build systemPau Garcia i Quiles9 Jan 2014
        • Re: Next MySQL++ build systemWarren Young9 Jan 2014
          • Re: Next MySQL++ build systemPau Garcia i Quiles9 Jan 2014
            • Re: Next MySQL++ build systemWarren Young9 Jan 2014
  • Re: Next MySQL++ build systemPau Garcia i Quiles8 Jan 2014