List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Charles J. Daniels Date:May 29 2013 12:53am
Subject:Re: accessing utf8, continued, update
View as plain text
Well I think I have it narrowed way down. When I call conn.driver() and
then get_options() on the driver, charset of this struct yields "latin1". I
don't know where this value comes from, or why it's that way, but for all I
know mysql++ sets it that way when connecting, though this seems unlikely
by your stance. But maybe I have like, no mysql drivers installed except
one that only works in latin1. So the value is stored utf8, mysql passes it
out utf8, the driver converts to latin-1, mysql++ gets and passes on that
latin-1, hence I lose data. How does mysql++ choose which driver it will
connect through? My connection string
is: conn.connect("learning-with-texts", "127.0.0.1", "root", "", 0); and I
create the conn object with a default constructor. conn.client_version()
returns 5.5.27, in case that's pertinent. I find it hard to imagine a
driver would default to an encoding so heavily it would be the single
determining factor, without a request.

So, I see utf8 everywhere, the table create, the server variables, and this
one lone latin1 response as indicated. Does that shine light on this all?

--charlie

Thread
accessing utf8, continued, updateCharles J. Daniels28 May
  • Re: accessing utf8, continued, updateWarren Young28 May
    • Re: accessing utf8, continued, updateCharles J. Daniels29 May