List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:January 18 2012 11:45am
Subject:Re: Is mysqlpp 3.0.9 supposed to work with MySQL 5.5?
View as plain text
On Jan 18, 2012, at 3:35 AM, Wolfgang Pausch wrote:

> the application
> terminates, probably with an segmentation fault.

"Probably"?  Why are you guessing?  What stops you from knowing for certain?

I mean, you say you've been "debugging" the problem, by which I assume you mean you've run
the program under a debugger when this symptom happens.  Doesn't your debugger tell you
what happened?

> Is mysqlpp 3.0.9 supposed to work with MySQL 5.5?

Yes, but that's not really the right question.

MySQL++ is built on top of the MySQL C API library (a.k.a. Connector/C), which handles all
of the communication with the MySQL DB server.

Therefore, my best guess is that you haven't also upgraded to MySQL 5.5 on your dev system
and rebuilt both MySQL++ and your program.

I don't mean to imply that the client and server must stay in lockstep.  There is supposed
to be some room for compatibility, so that an older client library can connect to a newer
server.  Still, since the problem appeared with an upgrade, it seems like a good thing to
try.

> upgrading to 3.1.0 would be a risk

If you take a look at the MySQL++ change log, you'll find that there's no mention of MySQL
5.5 compatibility improvements.

	http://tangentsoft.net/mysql++/ChangeLog

> Is there a precompiled version of mysqlpp 3.1.0 for 32 Bit Windows anywhere?

The current MySQL++ binary packages are provided by people who care about making them.  I
distribute CentOS binary packages because the company the supports MySQL++ development
needs them.  There seem to be several people behind the Ubuntu, Fedora, Homebrew, etc.
packages; each I'm sure has a personal itch to scratch.

So, if you wanted to start distributing MSI files, you'd be welcome to.
Thread
Is mysqlpp 3.0.9 supposed to work with MySQL 5.5?Wolfgang Pausch18 Jan
  • Re: Is mysqlpp 3.0.9 supposed to work with MySQL 5.5?Warren Young18 Jan
    • Re: Is mysqlpp 3.0.9 supposed to work with MySQL 5.5?Wolfgang Pausch18 Jan