List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jonathan Wakely Date:January 4 2011 12:39am
Subject:Re: Initialization of a Query object.
View as plain text
On 4 January 2011 00:24, Tomalak Geret'kal <tom@stripped> wrote:
> On 03/01/2011 22:40, Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> On 1/3/2011 2:36 PM, Eric Sepich wrote:
>>>
>>> No one ever said courtesy was a guarantee in life.
>>
>> Courtesy is a two-sided arrangement. Posting questions that
>> show a lack of C++ knowledge to a mailing list of this sort
>> is rude; it implies that you think we should teach you C++,
>> one question at a time. We are here to answer MySQL++
>> questions, not C++ questions.
>>
>> This is not specific to MySQL++. Pull the same thing on
>> another C++ library mailing list and you're likely to get
>> some push-back there, too.
>>

> Nobody's forcing you to reply, Warren. If you don't have enough information
> to answer a question, then either ask for what you need or just don't answer
> that question. Being rude does not help anybody.

Relax, nobody's actually been rude.  Pointing out to Eric that he
could have worked out the answer for himself is not rude, it's helpful
- IMHO more helpful than just answering the question.  Teach a man to
fish and all that.

> I learnt this on IRC, where in freenode##c++ we enjoy a productive and
> helpful atmosphere.

Good for you.  This is Warren's project, so he's always here, it's not
IRC where you can choose to leave or join as you wish.

Warren has spent a LOT of time writing the docs and the example code
for this project, arguably it is rude to ignore them and waste
people's time with basic questions.

See http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html for more on the subject.
Thread
Initialization of a Query object.Eric Sepich3 Jan
  • Re: Initialization of a Query object.Jonathan Wakely3 Jan
    • Re: Initialization of a Query object.Tomalak Geret'kal3 Jan
      • Re: Initialization of a Query object.Jonathan Wakely3 Jan
      • Re: Initialization of a Query object.Warren Young3 Jan
        • Re: Initialization of a Query object.Eric Sepich3 Jan
          • Re: Initialization of a Query object.Warren Young3 Jan
            • Re: Initialization of a Query object.Tomalak Geret'kal4 Jan
              • Re: Initialization of a Query object.Jonathan Wakely4 Jan
            • Re: Initialization of a Query object.Eric Sepich4 Jan
          • Re: Initialization of a Query object.Tomalak Geret'kal4 Jan
  • Re: Initialization of a Query object.Adrian Cornish3 Jan