List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Frey Date:December 16 2010 10:11pm
Subject:Re: static library
View as plain text
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 07:45:31AM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
> On 12/15/2010 11:45 AM, Sebastian Salazar wrote:
> >modified
> >the line 53 and 139, I change the dll tag for lib, then configure;
> >make; make install without success. It doesn't create the static lib.
>
> It's more than a one-line change, because the XML schema for <lib> is
> different than for <dll>.  I made the necessary changes here, and it
> does work:

Hi Warren,

Sorry to bring up a license issue (which can easily turn into huge
threads), but I just wanted to clarify:

In your recent documentation patch, you write:

+Building a Static Library
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+    As shipped, MySQL++ only builds a shared library.  It's possible
+    to change things so you get a static library instead, but we don't
+    ship it like that because of MySQL++'s LGPL license.  The LGPL
+    requires that if you distribute a program in binary form, its
+    recipients have the freedom to replace the LGPL parts themselves.
+    There are a couple of ways to do that, but the easiest is to
+    dynamically link to the LGPL parts.
+
+    This means that if you build MySQL++ as a static library, you
+    can't legally distribute binaries linked against it.  Unlike with
+    the MySQL Connector/C and Connector/C++ libraries, there is no
+    commercial exception available for MySQL++ because there is not
+    a single copyright holder on MySQL++.  So, this option is suited
+    only for those building programs that won't be distributed, such
+    as one building internal programs for a corporation, which are
+    not distributed outside the corporation.

Is this because the mysql C library is GPL, and therefore mysql++, when
linked to it (statically?) and distributed, is also GPL, and therefore static
binary distribution is not legal?

If so, it might be good to mention that too, to avoid questions like mine. :-)

	http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

Thanks,
- Chris

Thread
static libraryKemin Zhou14 Dec
  • Re: static libraryWarren Young14 Dec
    • Re: static libraryKemin Zhou14 Dec
      • Re: static libraryDino Korah14 Dec
      • Re: static libraryWarren Young15 Dec
        • Re: static librarySebastian Salazar15 Dec
          • Re: static libraryKemin Zhou16 Dec
            • Re: static libraryJonathan Wakely16 Dec
            • Re: static libraryChris Morgan16 Dec
            • Re: static libraryunrouted)16 Dec
          • Re: static libraryWarren Young16 Dec
            • Re: static libraryChris Frey16 Dec