List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick Gutleber Date:May 14 2010 1:58pm
Subject:Re: v3.1.0 imminent
View as plain text
Thanks for the update, Warren.  I'm looking forward to seeing 3.1.0 with
the fix I submitted, lo, those many moons ago.

I'm not even working on that project any more because I've been pulled
off for higher priority projects.  The code in production has been very
stable, the need for new features hasn't materialized like we expected,
and there hasn't been the hardware resources available for me to do
proper testing for the new version.  I guess I did "too good" a job
because while my 2.0 version fixed the biggest cause of the few crashes
we do have and is much faster in some key places, there haven't been any
problems or needs that have driven a desire by management to get it
pushed out.  Other than a few small patches, the 1.X version has been
running fine for two years now... with mysql++ 2.3.2.

But I still hold out the hope that one day I'll be able to return to it,
and updating to mysql++ 3.1 will be the first thing I do.

Rick

p.s.  These days I'm doing ColdFusion stuff, which is fun, but I still
prefer C++.

p.p.s.  I'm also looking forward to seeing what SSQLS 2 has to offer.
It's a very cool tool and is a lot like the kinds of things I've
designed in the past.  I'm sure you've got some neat stuff in there.

On 2010-05-13 16:45, Warren Young wrote:
> Since it's taking too long to get around to finishing SSQLS v2, I've
> decided I'm going to put a cap on v3.1.0 soon.  I want to squeeze a
> few more features into 3.1 before releasing it:
>
>     o Can we fix "if (!query)" without changing the ABI?
>
>       http://lists.mysql.com/plusplus/8594
>
>     o Fix pedantic warning:
>
>       lib/null.h:55: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function
>       return type
>
>     o Can we bring examples/vstudio into the top-level build system?
>       Would be nice to get MYSQL_WIN_DIR support, and to make it
>       link against the built MySQL++ instead of requiring it to be
>       installed first.
>
>     o Add -lmysqlclient for Xcode case
>
>     o Xcode project needs to ignore config.h when not doing an autotools
>       build.  Put conditions in lib/common.h.
>
>     o Result::field_num() should be case-insensitive; column names
>       aren't case-sensitive in SQL.  MySQL++ is currently trying to
>       do this by smashing field name case to lowercase in FieldNames,
>       calling str_to_lwr() on all received values.  This doesn't help
>       with SSQLS because it's not smashing field name case we get
>       as macro arguments in the SSQLS definition.  Probably better
>       all around to remove the case smashing and do case-insensitive
>       comparisons instead.
>
>     o Raise tquery and SSQLS field limits in RPM build process, since
>       the very fact that you're building an RPM means we know the
>       limits of the minimum supported platform.  It needs to be smart
>       enough to not override a value given when one hand-configures a
>       source tree, possibly by parsing it out of ssqls.h.  Otherwise,
>       use the known floor value.
>
>     o Check that it works with Connector/C and MySQL 5.1
>
>     o Document sql_*_null in userman
>
>     o Add to datetime.h: inline DateTime NOW() { return DateTime(); }
>
> MySQL++ v3.2.0 will pretty much be dedicated to finishing SSQLS v2,
> then we're back to more general feature releases after that.  MySQL++
> is maturing, so it's no surprise the release cycle is slowing down,
> but 15 months between releases is too long.
>
> Comments?  Complaints?  Kudos?

Thread
v3.1.0 imminentWarren Young13 May
  • Re: v3.1.0 imminentRick Gutleber14 May
    • Re: v3.1.0 imminentWarren Young14 May
      • Re: v3.1.0 imminentRick Gutleber14 May
  • Re: v3.1.0 imminentRemi Collet19 May
    • Re: v3.1.0 imminentWarren Young19 May
      • Re: v3.1.0 imminentWarren Young19 May
        • Re: v3.1.0 imminentJonathan Wakely20 May
      • Re: v3.1.0 imminentRemi Collet20 Jun
        • Re: v3.1.0 imminentJonathan Wakely20 Jun
          • Re: v3.1.0 imminentWarren Young21 Jun
            • Re: v3.1.0 imminentRemi Collet21 Jun