List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Adam Nielsen Date:November 20 2009 12:11am
Subject:Re: VS2008 Examples Don't Connect Unless Windows Service Is Started
Up?
View as plain text
> But the examples only connect to mysql if the "C:\Program
> Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin\mysqld" windows service is started
> up. Otherwise I get a connection failure like the following
> command-line text:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My
> Downloads\mysqlplusplus\Copy of Copy of mysql++-3.0.9>exrun simple2
> -u mysqlpp_test -p nunyabinness DB connection failed: Can't connect
> to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

That makes sense.  You're trying to connect to a database server on your
local PC, but there is no database server running, hence "can't connect".

> If I start up the Mysql windows service I get the following
> successful result from the command-line:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My
> Downloads\mysqlplusplus\Copy of Copy of mysql++-3.0.9>exrun simple2
> -u mysqlpp_test -p nunyabinness Item                           Num
> Weight    Price     Date
>
> N??rnberger Brats              97        1.5       8.79
> 2005-03-10 Pickle Relish                  87        1.5       1.75
> 1998-09-04 Hot Mustard                    73        0.95      0.97
> 1998-05-25 Hotdog Buns                    65        1.1       1.10
> 1998-04-23

Now you are running a database server on your PC, so there is something
to connect to and retrieve data.

> In general my applications will not have the mysql windows service
> runnning, so does anyone know what switch/setting/etc. I need to
> modify to make the examples (and any other VS2008 mysql++ 3.0.9
> application ) connect to the database without having the mysql
> Windows service running??

I'm not sure I understand - you need to connect to a MySQL server
somewhere, be it on your local machine or an external server.  If your
server is not on your local PC, change 'localhost' to point to the
server name.

Cheers,
Adam.

Thread
VS2008 Examples Don't Connect Unless Windows Service Is Started Up?Thomas Volckhausen20 Nov
  • Re: VS2008 Examples Don't Connect Unless Windows Service Is StartedUp?Adam Nielsen20 Nov
    • Re: VS2008 Examples Don't Connect Unless Windows Service Is StartedUp?Warren Young20 Nov
  • Re: VS2008 Examples Don't Connect Unless Windows Service Is Started Up?Thomas Volckhausen20 Nov
    • Re: VS2008 Examples Don't Connect Unless Windows Service Is Started Up?Attila20 Nov
  • Re: VS2008 Examples Don't Connect Unless Windows Service Is Started Up?Thomas Volckhausen22 Nov
    • Re: VS2008 Examples Don't Connect Unless Windows Service Is Started Up?Warren Young23 Nov