List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:April 13 2009 7:50pm
Subject:Re: mysql++'s connection hangs after long timeout
View as plain text
Denis Nagorny wrote:

> There are no any requests during weekend

You've just run into a common issue, the default 8-hour MySQL connection
timeout.  I've added a section to the user manual to cover this issue.
Here's what it currently says:

By default, current MySQL servers have an 8 hour idle timeout on
connections. The most common way to run into this problem is when you
have a program that runs continually, but you keep finding that it dies
overnight or over the weekend because no one is making it issue queries.
The MySQL server closes the connection after the configured idle timeout
to free up resources, because a networked program can never be sure that
the remote peer is still there when no data is being transferred.

You cannot detect this by calling Connection::connected(). If that
returns true, it just means that either the connect-on-create
constructor or the connect() call succeeded and that we haven’t observed
the connection to be down since then. If the server closes the
connection, you won’t know it until the next time you try to talk to it.
This is simply due to the nature of network programming.

One way around this problem is to configure MySQL to use a different
timeout. This timeout is in seconds, so the default of 8 hours is 28,800
seconds. You could figure out the longest possible time that your
program could be left idle. For instance, it could be left running over
a long 4-day weekend, which is 345,600 seconds, which you could round up
to 350,000 or 400,000 just to keep things simple.

You can also change this parameter on a per-connection basis, too, by
using MySQL++’s ConnectTimeoutOption connection option.

Another way to tackle this, if your program is asynchronous (i.e.
doesn’t stay blocked forever waiting on I/O while idle) or uses threads,
is to periodically call Connection::ping(). This sends the smallest
possible amount of data to the database server, which will reset its
idle timer. If the server responds, ping() returns true, so this also
gives your program the ability to detect that the server has gone away
before trying a query. Don’t ping the server too often, though, as it
takes a tiny amount of processing capability to handle a ping, which can
add up to a significant amount if done often enough by a client, or even
just rarely by enough clients. When I do this, I just assume the
database server is there, pinging it no more often than half the
connection timeout. With the default of 8 hours, then, I’d ping between
every 4 and 7 hours.

An interesting variant is to ping the server before each query, or,
better, before each group of queries within a larger operation. It has
an advantage over pinging during idle time in that the client is about
to use far more server resources to handle the query than it will take
to handle the ping, so the ping time gets lost in the overhead. On the
other hand, if the client issues queries frequently when not idle, it
can result in a lot more pings than would happen if you just pinged
every N hours while idle.

Finally, some programmers prefer to wrap the querying mechanism in an
error handler that catches the “server has gone away” error and tries to
reestablish the connection and reissue the query. This adds some
complexity, but it makes your program more robust without taking up
unnecessary resources. If you did this, you could even change the server
to drop idle connections more often, thus tying up fewer TCP/IP stack
resources.
Thread
mysql++'s connection hangs after long timeoutDenis Nagorny13 Apr
  • Re: mysql++'s connection hangs after long timeoutWarren Young13 Apr
    • Re: mysql++'s connection hangs after long timeoutDenis Nagorny14 Apr
    • Re: mysql++'s connection hangs after long timeoutRick Gutleber14 Apr