List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andrej van der Zee Date:March 23 2009 10:37am
Subject:Re: binary bulk-insert
View as plain text
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

> > "When loading a table from a text file, use LOAD DATA
> INFILE. This is usually 20 times faster than using INSERT
> statements."
>
> I wish they'd said whether their test used many single-row
> INSERT statements, or multi-statements.  It could be
> that the latter approaches the speed of LOAD DATA INFILE.
>
> Since we can't trust that report, you should do your own
> benchmarks.

Yes true. It doesn't say compared to what, unfortunately.

> I think you're ignoring how slow hard disks are.
> Unless you have a fast RAID (as opposed to slow RAID, which
> still is pretty common) it's going to be at least a few
> times slower than your network link, so it *will* materially
> affect the upload speed.  It's even worse if the MySQL
> server is on the same machine as the client.

I guess tempfs in /dev/shm would be a good candidate on Linux, as it is stored in-memory
only

Greets,
Andrej

Thread
binary bulk-insertAndrej van der Zee13 Mar
  • Re: binary bulk-insertWarren Young13 Mar
Re: binary bulk-insertAndrej van der Zee13 Mar
  • Re: binary bulk-insertWarren Young13 Mar
Re: binary bulk-insertAndrej van der Zee23 Mar
  • Re: binary bulk-insertWarren Young23 Mar
Re: binary bulk-insertAndrej van der Zee23 Mar