List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Raymond Blenkiron Date:March 2 2009 11:24am
Subject:Re: Installing and building MYSQL++ for VC++ 2008
View as plain text
Warren Young wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2009, at 8:20 PM, Raymond wrote:
>
>> Ran the install.hta (Firefox 3 didn't handle this at all well - none
>> of the controls were populated). Tried IE7 with a liitle more success
>> - fields populated, check a couple of boxes but an error:
>
> You aren't supposed to load install.hta into a web browser.  You run
> it just like any other executable; double-click it in Windows
> Explorer, for example.
>
> Additionally, from your email, it appears you tried to install the
> library before building it.
>
>> Set the VC++ Directories  for the Include files and  Library files to
>> point to relevant folders in the MySQL developer components.
>
> That shouldn't be necessary.  The rebake step you did will have taken
> care of this.
>
>> What have I missed?
>
> You haven't built MySQL++ yet.  You were perhaps expecting that the
> library came pre-built?  It's just source code.
>
> Open vc2008\*.sln, hit F7, wait for that to build, change to the
> Release configuration on the Build menu, hit F7 again.  Now
> install.hta and the other examples will work.

Thanks for the response.
In short, I think I have most of it sorted. The response above helped
clarify the sequence for getting everything installed and built whilst
the README files and Pg 68-69 of the User Guide helped with
configuration. There were some issues along the way so I hope this might
help if someone else stumbles across them.

I have both Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2008
installed. Everything here refers to the Express Edition.
Uninstalled MySQL using Add/Remove Programs
Removed mysql++-3.0.9
Removed library and include entries for the VC++ directories

Reinstalled MySQL which included the developer components into
C:\MySQL51 (Version is 5.1.31 community edition)
Tested connection using the mysql command line client as well the GUI
client.
Unarchived mysql++-3.0.9 into E:\mysql++3
Modified the MYSQL_WIN_DIR var in mysql++.bkl to point to C:\MySQL51
Rebaked the installation - ** "That shouldn't be necessary.  The rebake
step you did will have taken care of this."** Nope that did not happen
for me - the directories for the Include files and  Library files were
not appended for either VC++EE or Visual Studio.
Ran the resetdb and confirmed that the mysql_cpp_data database was
created along with the tables being populated.
Loaded VC++EE and configured the VC++ Directories  for the Include files
and  Library files to point to relevant folders in the MySQL developer
components.
Attempted to build mysql++ libraries. There were some warning messages:

   ..\examples\cpool.cpp(219) : warning C4244: 'argument' : conversion
   from 'time_t' to 'unsigned int', possible loss of data
   ..\test\array_index.cpp(110) : warning C4101: 'e' : unreferenced
   local variable
       ..\test\array_index.cpp(162) : see reference to function
   template instantiation 'bool test_string_index<mysqlpp::Row>(const
   ContainerT &)' being compiled

Despite the warnings, the build was successful for the Debug (Repeated
same for Release)
Executed the install.hta and confirmed that the mysqlpp_d and mysqlpp
library and dll files were installed way down in ..\MySQL++\lib\VC++
2008\Native
Set up all the VC++ links and directories as per Pg68 or UserGuide.
Opened the mfc sample and built but whilst building without error the
app failed becasue it couldn't find the mysqlpp_d.dll. I copied such
file into the ..\Windows\System32 folder and was then able to
successfully launch the app and have it return records from the database.
Similar result for the wforms sample.

Thread
Installing and building MYSQL++ for VC++ 2008Raymond28 Feb
  • Re: Installing and building MYSQL++ for VC++ 2008Warren Young1 Mar
    • Re: Installing and building MYSQL++ for VC++ 2008Raymond Blenkiron2 Mar
      • Re: Installing and building MYSQL++ for VC++ 2008Warren Young2 Mar
Re: Installing and building MYSQL++ for VC++ 2008Warren Young1 Mar