List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Graf Date:February 23 2009 2:43pm
Subject:Re: libmysqlpp.so on a 64bit platform
View as plain text
-L and -I tell the compiler where to find things in order to build your
application. Using the gnu compiler, -rpath (SUN CC -R) tells the runtime
where to find what it needs:

-Wl,-rpath,<path to >/mysql++-3.0.3/lib

Overly complicated?,  you bet. But in a commercial environment, where you
probably don't own the OS, then it's the only way to go. And on your
desktop, where you obviously run root to install mysql++ into /usr/lib64,
the next time you update your OS your going to be moderately put out. (damn,
of course I've been assuming that /usr/lib64 is really an OS directory. If
it's your own concoction, then we are on the same page).

Just my opinion, whatever floats your boat in your world is AOK by me.

-jim

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Robert Simmons <robert@stripped> wrote:

> The problem I was encountering was not upon building the application, but
> on running the built application. I have my IDE set to -L and -l all the
> correct locations upon build, but if the OS then cant find that when it
> comes to runtime the application won't run. My only solution was to either
> build MySQL++ into the /usr/lib64 directory so that when my application
> runs, it finds the libraries there - or to symlink the MySQL++ libraries
> from their directory, back into /usr/lib64.
>
> -Robert.
>

> On 23 Feb 2009, at 14:21, Jim Graf wrote:
>
>  I'm not sure if I'm following this right, but it has been my long
>> experience
>> that third party applications and library's  have no business in an OS
>> specific location, but it is just a policy and not a requirement, although
>> very good policy.

Thread
libmysqlpp.so on a 64bit platformRobert Simmons22 Feb
  • Re: libmysqlpp.so on a 64bit platformRemi Collet22 Feb
  • Re: libmysqlpp.so on a 64bit platformWarren Young23 Feb
    • Re: libmysqlpp.so on a 64bit platformJim Graf23 Feb
      • Re: libmysqlpp.so on a 64bit platformRobert Simmons23 Feb
        • Re: libmysqlpp.so on a 64bit platformJim Graf23 Feb
        • Re: libmysqlpp.so on a 64bit platformJonathan Wakely24 Feb
      • Re: libmysqlpp.so on a 64bit platformWarren Young24 Feb