List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Graf Date:February 23 2009 2:21pm
Subject:Re: libmysqlpp.so on a 64bit platform
View as plain text
I'm not sure if I'm following this right, but it has been my long experience
that third party applications and library's  have no business in an OS
specific location, but it is just a policy and not a requirement, although a
very good policy.

But if that is the policy, where to put 3rd party apps/libs is up to the SA
or developer. In that case, autoconf supplies sufficient resources, such as
--prefix, --libdir, etc.

What that does is effectively take the build/install complexity away from
the 3rd party and push it to the user. So I compile and install some 3rd
party lib where ever I think it ought to be and then create a .pc file for
that build/install. When I build my apps against the third party - mysql++,
boost regex,... - I need to tool my configure.ac to find these things.

PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG([0.22])
# mysql++ library
case "$target" in
  *-solaris*)
    case "$vendor" in
      gnu) # using GNU Compiler
        export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/jgdata/Reticle/share/pkgconfig"
        PKG_CHECK_MODULES([MYSQLPP], [mysql++-gnu >= 3.0.3])
      ;;
      sun) # using SUN Compiler
        export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/jgdata/Reticle/share/pkgconfig"
        PKG_CHECK_MODULES([MYSQLPP], [mysql++-sun >= 3.0.3])
      ;;
    esac
  ;;
etc....

And the hand created .pc file:

prefix=/usr/lang/local/MYSQL/mysql++-3.0.3
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${exec_prefix}/include/mysql++

Name: libmysqlpp
Version: 3.0.3
Libs: -L${libdir}  -lmysqlpp
Cflags: -I${includedir}

I have to admit, putting third party apps/libs in a non OS location makes
the developers life more complicated, dealing with -R...-L... or
-W,-rpath... insanities, maybe even choosing the right .pc file, but it is
the right policy from a systems POV.

A long winded way of my saying I don't think mysql++ should attempt to
figure out if it is going to be compiled 32 or 64 bit or where to install
itself. Everything exists now in autoconf to do that. Keep the third party
lib simple and push the build/install complexity to the user.

-jim

PS. using pkg-config makes life much nicer.